Monday, March 24, 2008

I want a hippopotamus for anytime

So I don't think I have ever discussed my intense love of hippo's on this blog. Anyone who knows me at all in "real life" knows that the hippopotamus is my all time favorite animal and has been for as long as I can remember. When I was young and my grandparents used to take me and my cousins to the zoo we would always save the hippos for last or else I would stand there all freaking day long watching them wiggle their adorable ears and watching their ginormous nostrils suck in as they go under water for a nap. I also liked them because they were mysterious and oftentimes elusive. There was no guarantee that that hippo right there would come up out of the water long enough for you to even see it because they can hold their breath for like 20 years. There is a part of me today that just wants to run to the zoo everyday and watch those hippos because they're so damn cute but instead I settle for the occasional Discovery Channel special. My love of hippo's is so well known in fact that I have uploaded pictures of my birthday gifts from some of my closest friends (I think you'll notice a central theme).


Yes I realize that the above picture is a bit dark but you still get the picture. They are cards that were made by my best friend S. from Virginia and there are 22 of them (one for each year of my life) that say "I (heart) Hippos" Is that not awesome??????


A stuffed hippo from my friend C. (I must confess when I got it I made it's ears wiggle lol)




And this, my friends, takes the cake. It was a simple hippo bank from the dollar section, cute enough in and of itself but my friend C. is a creative freakin genius and she painted my name and some designs on it and then just to make my heart explode and drip out onto the carpet she gave the hippo lips and little tiny eyelashes. I love her and I love this little bank. Gifts like this are what birthdays are all about not big expensive crap because those hippo lips and eyelashes??? They make me happier than any gift card ever could.

So fast forward to today when I walked into my favorite store ever and in the dollar section I spot......

This

And.....

This rug.

They were both in the dollar section which was marked half off and that was the last hippo rug left. I ran over to it, swept it off the shelf, and looked around as if someone was going to come try and fight me for it (and trust me I was damn ready to take them out). As I was checking out the cashier told me how cute it was and I smiled a little to myself and thanked her, little did she know what a heartless bitch she was dealing with because as soon as I got out to my car I sent my friend C. a text message that said "There's probably some hippo themed kids room with a cold bare floor because of me and all I can say to that kid is SUCK IT cause I got the last hippo rug!!!"

Labels: , , ,

--------------------oOo--------------------

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so awesome.

I mean, not hippos particularly, although now that I think about it, okay, they are pretty cool --
but my boyfriend is really into walruses. It's so awesome having one of the non-standard animal favorites. His sister's had rooms filled with pictures of horses and all that crud as a kid, which, BO-ring.

My sister used to really like holstein cows, but there's nothing like an overzealous grandmother with a diminished sense of tackiness to kill one's obsession, really. In fact, she discussed needlepointing some walrus items for the aforementioned boyfriend...


But at any rate, good work with the hippos, and you have inspired me to post about the epic battle between his walruses and my robots in our living room. so...thanks?

--Kate : D

Did I already say that he's a total dork and even named his blog after them? Because, dork.
http://filmwalrus.blogspot.com

March 29, 2008 at 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home